The National Football League (NFL) took over Piccadilly on Saturday 8 September as it celebrated the start of the 2018 season with a very special event, NFL Kickoff on Piccadilly, presented by GoUSA TV.
The free event saw Piccadilly closed to traffic and was transformed into a hub of NFL related activities and entertainment during the day-long festival.
The full insights insights review of the event will be coming soon.
Want to provide your feedback on the event? Click here to take part in NFL’s feedback survey.
Other event details included:
The full schedule of events included:
- On-stage entertainment, including a headline music act
- NFL cheerleaders
- Family Tailgate area, including interactive NFL-themed games
- Appearances by NFL legends, including Q & A sessions and signings
- Kids’ Zone, including an NFL mini-pitch
- Screenings of the new America’s Game, featuring the Eagles’ Super Bowl LII triumph, at BAFTA
- NFL mascots, including Swoop from the Eagles
- Wide range of American-style food, including dishes straight from the six regions whose teams will be playing games in London later this year
- NFL Shop, where fans can buy a wide range of merchandise from their favourite team
Against this backdrop will be a screening of Super Bowl LII, between the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots, played in February – complete with explanations and analysis by NFL experts, including the BBC’s Osi Umenyiora and Jason Bell and Sky Sports’ Neil Reynolds.
“This will be a fantastic way to launch the new season,” said NFL UK Managing Director, Alistair Kirkwood. “The NFL has a great reputation of staging engaging fan events in London – at locations such as Trafalgar Square and Regent Street – and we are excited about the opportunity of taking over Piccadilly. The planned activities will appeal to everyone, whether they are currently NFL fans or not, and we are looking forward to a day of fun, football and family entertainment that will be a great celebration of our sport.”
Ros Morgan, Chief Executive, Heart of London Business Alliance, said: “We are delighted that the NFL reaffirmed its commitment to London’s West End, with Piccadilly hosting the kickoff event. We know the players are very excited about coming to London later in the year and London is very excited about hosting them and their fans, both at the kickoff event and at the games later in the year.”