Thursday 10 October 2019 marked World Homeless Day; a chance for people across the world to raise awareness of an often overlooked community.
Over 50 businesses came together on World Homeless Day to raise awareness and funds for those affected by homelessness. Together we raised £52,800 which will enable the Connections to deliver 160 hours of life-saving day time outreach services for London’s street homeless.
With homelessness a perennial issue in our area – four people become homeless on the streets of Westminster every day – a collaborative approach to dealing with this issue is a necessity. Our ‘Go Orange for World Homelessness Day’ encouraged a major fundraising effort to increase the BIDs street outreach capacity.
Funds raised on World Homeless Day:
- 16 activities took place across our area, from raffles to volunteering, bucket collections and auctions, these raised £11,000 with over £4000 raised at a collection at Hamilton.
- 15 gala prizes were donated with a total value of £6,200.
- The prizes gathered £10,000 at auction and raised over £40,000 at the gala.
- Over 80 people attended the Connections Gala, where clients served the guests as part of their program that trains rough sleepers in hospitality and catering: watch the video here.
- More than 250 people donated £3 to TAP London as part of our “50 TAPs for World Homeless Day challenge.”